So now that you are up to speed on Freecycle.org – you’ve registered on the site, and you’ve seen what your local area has to offer.
This is where I share what we did to get an expensive flat screen TV, a virtually new outdoor patio table & chair set, unused art & craft supplies for the kids, a learning sewing machine, a designer crystal vase, and many more items – all for FREE.
Be a First Responder
When you see something you like on Freecycle, your best chance to be awarded the item is to respond right-away. Many people give their listed item to the First Responder. Freecycle will push emails to you which have new items, which is great. But if you are looking for several items (maybe you need help furnishing your entire flat) or you want a specific popular item that usually gets taken right away, we recommend keeping an eye on you local Freecycle website page which pushes out new listings in real time. This will give you a much better chance of being a crucial First Responder.
Craft Your Message
Not every Giver goes for the First Responder method. This is why your message to the Giver needs to make you stand-out as being the right person to give the item to.
- Be polite and positive about the item – Hi. The sofa you’ve listed looks great and would fit in perfectly in our flat. We’d love to give it a new home. OR My little girl would absolutely love the kid’s bike you listed. We were just planning to teach her how to ride so it’s perfect timing.
- Assure them if they’ve given any special instructions for the item’s collection – My brother can help me, so together we will easily be able to move and load the piano. OR I can easily collect at the time you mentioned – between 2-3 pm on Tuesday.
- ‘If the Item is still available’ – always include these words in your message
- When you can collect – give specifics and be flexible. State something like this – If the item is still available, we can collect anytime today or tomorrow after 6:30 pm or at another time that suits you better.
- Thank you and include your info – Thank you and best wishes. Then add your name and mobile phone number so the Giver can call you and arrange collection directly. You really want to make it as easy as possible for them.
A number of times we have not been a First Responder, but got the item that we asked for when the First Responder didn’t show up to collect. Also if a listing has been sitting around for a while, you may still be the First Responder even after several days. So always put in a bid for items you want no matter how long the listing has been posted.
Good luck with your Freecycle adventures!
If you’d like to know about How to do a Chic Kitchen Make-Over for Virtually No Money (coming soon) or get Interior Designer Tips to Give Your Bed the Wow-Factor Look (coming soon), just click.
© Make Life Exceptional 2016. Not to be reproduced without permission.